The Pacific Northwest Gigapop (PNWGP) is a nonprofit corporation serving research and education organizations throughout the Pacific Rim. We provide cost-effective, robust, reliable, high-bandwidth, and high-capacity networking to support the missions of these organizations and the needs of researchers, faculty, students, and staff. PNWGP designs, implements, and manages a multi-state high- bandwidth and high-capacity network specifically designed to meet the unique requirements of research and education communities.
We provide access to next generation Internet services and technologies, to exclusive R&D testbeds where tomorrow’s Internet technologies are being developed, and to research and education networks and research organizations throughout the United States, Canada, Mexico, South America, the Pacific Rim, and Europe. The PNWGP is built to be among the highest caliber research and education networks in the world.
Benefits of Joining the PNWGP Community
- Access to the nation’s leading-edge networks including Internet2, National LambdaRail, and high-performance federal networks such as ESNet and DREN.
- Highly reliable, high-speed Internet connectivity among universities and research organizations throughout the Pacific Northwest.
- No commercial Internet costs when communicating and/or collaborating with hundreds of national education institutions that belong to Internet2, National LambdaRail, and other organizations with whom PNWGP has network peering relationships.
- The provision of high-speed networking services to researchers when pursuing research opportunities such as those offered by the National Science Foundation (NSF), the National Institutes of Health (NIH), which require access to advanced, high- speed networks like PNWGP.
- A one-stop shopping connection point to cost-effective access to major commercial Internet Service Providers (ISPs).
- Significant cost savings on commodity/ commercial ISP charges, realized as a result of peering arrangements with numerous companies such as Google, Amazon, Microsoft, and Akamai.
- A Network Operations Center (NOC) that understands education and research organizations and is focused on meeting the needs of such organizations — ready to provide advanced network services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
- A backbone with an architecture designed to eliminate single points of failure to achieve high levels of reliability
- National and global collaborations with other researchers and organizations via highly reliable, uncongested Internet services through an international optical backbone infrastructure.
- Participation with other research and education institutions on Working Groups focused on common interests, via PNWGP- sponsored events.
- Opportunities to participate in next generation Internet R&D testbed activities in research, education, medicine, and commercial arenas.